Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Outlaw Street » Times & Modifications (Bench racing & timing slip banter)

Post subject: 4th gen camaro mods
 Post Posted: March 4th, 2012, 3:27 pm 

Hey guys n gals. I've already stated on a couple of threads I'm looking at joining outlaw street when I've got the money to get a car. I'm really looking at a 4th gn lt1 camaro/firebird/transam, running stock. As far. I know they run low 14s stock but I wouldn't mind dipping into the 13s if I can, but I only want to do soft mods as it will be a street/strip car. I've been looking at the pacesetter headers and cold induction kits from k&n. What hp and et gains would I expect to get from these mods? Are there any other soft mods that anyone could recommend that wouldn't decrease reliability and mpg too much? Is nitrous an option? Any help would be appreciated

Adam

Post subject: Re: 4th gen camaro mods
 Post Posted: March 4th, 2012, 4:58 pm 

Welcome to Outlaw Adam.

I've owned a '94 LT1 camaro, '00 LS1 Trans Am and currently still have a '94 LT1 Corvette.

Depending on your budget if you can stretch a little more to an LS1 engined car opposed to an LT1 you'll find there are a lot more tuning options available.

If you do want to go LT1 then the bolt on shopping list should be..

160 Thermostat
Hypertech programmer
MSD Optispark
10/12mm ignition leads
Upgrade the torque convertor
Some sticky rear tyres this will get you into the 12's

As for Nitrous yes you can run it on the LT1's and it'll put you in the 11's (although probably not for long as you'll break something).... Ask me how I know...

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Post Posted: March 4th, 2012, 5:12 pm 

Spot on outlaw thanks for that! Excuse the ignorance but what do each of those mods do for the car/ give you/ cost roughly? Oh also can you run the 160 thermo with a cold induction kit or am I going to make it too cold to run lol .Yeh I'm not exactly partial to nitrous......the devils juice!

Post Posted: March 4th, 2012, 6:31 pm 

Outlaw #1 wrote:

160 Thermostat
Hypertech programmer
MSD Optispark
10/12mm ignition leads
Upgrade the torque convertor
Some sticky rear tyres this will get you into the 12's

OK, yes you can run a 160 with a cold air intake, the 160 is a must on the LT1's, will cost 20quid
The hypertech will cost 100-150quid'ish allows you to change throttle settings, shift settings, etc etc, is again a must for tweaking an LT1 properly

The MSD optispark will cost a good few hundred, BUT the optispark is the one weak link on the LT1 engines and highly advised to upgrade

Best bet get yourself on one of the US Camaro forums as there's heaps of helpful info on LT1's there to give you some ideas...

Post Posted: March 4th, 2012, 6:35 pm 

Cheers outlaw, would you recommend an exhaust mod ie With the pacesetter headers or isn't it necessary? I think the whole exhaust kit is around 550 quid so don't know if it's worth the 20hp its meant to give you

Post Posted: March 5th, 2012, 7:30 pm 

37chevy wrote:
Cheers outlaw, would you recommend an exhaust mod ie With the pacesetter headers or isn't it necessary? I think the whole exhaust kit is around 550 quid so don't know if it's worth the 20hp its meant to give you

I'd advise waiting until you actually get the car as in reality most LT1 camaro or pontiacs in the UK would have been here a few years and already tweaked to some extent, so get the car, run it on the track to get a baseline of what is will do 'as is' they start building it up..

Post Posted: March 5th, 2012, 7:39 pm 

Yeh absolutely, that's what I intend to do, il run it for half a year and then slowly start bolting bits on, I want it to be a bit of a project car so I can see exactly how much things make a difference rather than just ploughing in with loads of money ( which I don't have) and get lots of breakages (which I can't afford!).....I'd just rather ask all the questions in advance so I have a better understanding of what should work, and likewise what won't!

Board index » Outlaw Street » Times & Modifications (Bench racing & timing slip banter)