Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Outlaw Street » Times & Modifications (Bench racing & timing slip banter)

Post subject: Still no 13...
 Post Posted: June 11th, 2011, 10:50 pm 

...but a 14.07 @ 101 today is getting very close.

Surprising actually as it was one of the most frustrating days at the track I've had and the run itself didn't feel particularly good.
I don't think that's too bad for stock heads, cam and intake on street tyres.

Post subject: Re: Still no 13...
 Post Posted: June 12th, 2011, 9:19 am 

Keep at it, just pay attention to the small details (Tyre pressures, etc) and I'm sure when the conditions are right, you will be rewarded... ;)

Post Posted: June 12th, 2011, 2:20 pm 

hitting a 13 in my cobra was a nightmare, car consistently hit 14.01s and i had no money to put into it, was over the moon when it went 13.99 twice before i sold it. keep at it mate

Post Posted: June 12th, 2011, 3:40 pm 

Batman wrote:
Keep at it, just pay attention to the small details (Tyre pressures, etc) and I'm sure when the conditions are right, you will be rewarded... ;)

Fed up telling him to drop tyre pressure :lol: ;)

Post Posted: June 12th, 2011, 4:17 pm 

badger wrote:

I was hoping to try changing that this weekend, but there wasn't enough time to do enough runs or stop and change pressures.
I went round non stop as it was and only managed 4 runs altogether.

I also hear completely opposite things from people about pressures for street tyres. Only way to know for sure is to try. Maybe next time. ;)

Post Posted: June 12th, 2011, 5:54 pm 

Pod wrote:
badger wrote:

I was hoping to try changing that this weekend, but there wasn't enough time to do enough runs or stop and change pressures.
I went round non stop as it was and only managed 4 runs altogether.

I also hear completely opposite things from people about pressures for street tyres. Only way to know for sure is to try. Maybe next time. ;)

On street tyres you want to try dropping 5psi at a time assumming you're probably running on 30psi on the road, they you'll find a pressure which best suits your car.

You dont want to drop them to single figure pressures as you would on a race tyre, this will do you zero good

Post Posted: June 12th, 2011, 11:18 pm 

i have also heard dropping street tires is bad news, they dont have side wall squash and ive known low pressures to cause major over heating and delaminating issues on some street rubber (but i think these were very cheap tires). i never went lower than 25 psi on my toyos, i might have been able to go lower tho. suppose as long as the tires are good quality top end tires then most the stories wont apply to dropping the pressures just keep a eye on the outer edges of tread after a run for signs of over heating

Post Posted: June 13th, 2011, 10:50 am 

you'll only over heat the tires if you run them way to low most tires ar still perfectly good at around 15psi though traction one most square shouldered tires would be better a little higher at around 20psi as mark said try dropping the pressures a little at a time till you get the best traction also don't put to much heat into a street tire doing a burnout street tires tend to glaze if they get to hot and you will loose traction its all trial and error try a run with no burn out then slowly increase burnout time from there to see what it does to your times also make sure you don't have odd tires

Board index » Outlaw Street » Times & Modifications (Bench racing & timing slip banter)