Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Outlaw Street » The Workshop – (Share your builds in progress & projects here)

Post subject: HMC mustang
 Post Posted: February 20th, 2013, 10:34 pm 

As some may know ive had my fill over the past year with my car,

it all started last september when my better other half bought me a stupid charger for my car, As most would think this is just a simple thing to put on and have some fun, unfortunately the tuner i got the tune from really only tunes v8's not v6's and they made a boo boo, and my engine blew, me being me just thought it was my right foot and years of track abuse, so engine no2 goes in, 2 miles later bang, back to the workshop, took the heads off and pistons missing or cracked, hence why we then knew it was a tune issue - detination !

so then the emails and telephone calls start to the tuner in the states to get to the bottem of it, problem was they had just done the same thing to another v6 the same week while on there dyno, the more i chased them for either help compensation or just to check things, the less they answered emails or just put the phone down on me.

well after talking to the guy who developed the supercharger kit he contacted doug (the guy who owned bama chips who sold to american muscle) who as a now friend offered to write me a tune, not a race tune but a few tunes to try and datalog before employing a 3rd tuner to rewrite a proper tune.

so now what to do, well there were no more mustang engines in the uk, but plenty of very high milage explorer engines, so the ebay bidding started, and i ended up buying 4 engines, engine no1 lasted around 200 miles, as i used it to data log all the tunes including the one that blew my original engine so i could find out what went so badly wrong.

engine no 2 went in and again other things were tried to again find out toher things that would blow the engine, including burnouts and higher running temps

then engine no3 went in, and i used this most of last year for drag racing, not bad for a 100k engine and over revving it and running it with either no stat or fans running or not i managed to get to 13.20.

well the last engine was put in and alas it had blown head gaskets so i just used it to run the car around the workshops

so i started to save from july of last year looking for the right parts, not the cheapest engine to build from pistons that cost 2.5k to heads to rods to moly rings to arp stud, oh the list went on and on

well in december the buying began and finally i built the engine, but with some prototyping as well

including heaver valve springs, modified combustion chambers, cam regrinds balancing off the bottem end, and different piston gaps, big learning curve with deep pockets

anyway, today i started the engine for the first time, and now the fun begins, and the worst bit, of running in an engine

heres some pics tracing the past year and my car

This last one is the first fire up,
Engines really smooth, race engine mounts make the car shudder, but fromnthe exhaust tail pipes you can hear the valves opening and closing, but no noises from engine apart from injector tick and supercharger on bypass, warmed up quick, engine is really tight, idles a bit hard, first oil change in motion, got the engine up to 90 degrees , low on fuel, waited for oil temp to come up to 90 and then left her draining all night, will flush rad tomorrow as well, just got 1 electric connector to find as I cant see where it plugs in, passenger side of rad area, feck knows cant find anything. Still it runs sweet and fired first time, unlike the 2nd hand engines last year that took ages to actually get the to start and idle, may sleep tonight!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=491698387559501

Post subject: Re: HMC mustang
 Post Posted: February 21st, 2013, 3:10 am 

like the colour green mate looking nice :D

Post Posted: February 21st, 2013, 8:07 am 

Sounds very familiar. The only difference being you could find some used engines unlike me not being able to find pontiac engines anywhere. Still life goes on and I will be back at some point.

Post Posted: February 21st, 2013, 9:00 pm 

stick a chevy motor in um both ;)......best late model mustang ive seen is the raging bull racing,tubbed,bbc,nice.

Post Posted: February 21st, 2013, 9:18 pm 

Yeah, fills mustang is the dogs

Post Posted: February 21st, 2013, 9:20 pm 

Would it not be cheaper to import a pontaic engine, I can get it in the country if you can get it to florida,

Post Posted: February 21st, 2013, 9:27 pm 

have you painted the car yourself? do you bring stuff in from states ,i will want a set of fast injectors later in year.

Post Posted: February 21st, 2013, 11:17 pm 

Right from the start I was determined to stay Pontiac powered. That was until I realised the pitfalls (£££££££). I still want to stay Pontiac powered but don't know if my pockets deep enough. We'll see what the engine builder comes up with this time as to why it's gone tits up again.

Post Posted: February 22nd, 2013, 3:35 pm 

yeah i painted the car myself, infact i painted the tungsten grey the car was last year

used to paint 20 years ago so you never really forget, and 2k is really easy compared to cele

but i do have 2 body shops that i use for costomers cars

as to the stuff from the states, yes i have ways to get near enough anything over from the states

i also have an account with ford racing, not that that will help you, im also trying 2 bring 2 big american companies over from the states, both with racing heritage, fingers crossed something may happen in the next 2 years.

also check out rock auto.com,. if your injectors are off a modern car, like most actually are, you can sometimes buy them through rock autos

As to your engine woes, ive learnt a lot the hard way, if i can help, not that i know everything, but problems are normally very simply caused

difining those problems should be even easier,

i will try and read your history on here, but it can only be one of 3 things at the end of the day, and with you not having electronic fuel injection like modern cars, it should be even easier

personally i think all race cars/ customs should have at least 3 gauges, afr and fuel pressure, vac/boost gauge from these you can tell just about anything, mech failure is the only thing that you cant read, but it shouldnt happen unless your pushing limits or a hiccup occurs during construction

Board index » Outlaw Street » The Workshop – (Share your builds in progress & projects here)