Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Outlaw Street » The Workshop – (Share your builds in progress & projects here)

Post subject: Clutching at straws
 Post Posted: January 21st, 2015, 8:18 pm 

Or, clutches as strong as straw. After "talking" to Rob 57 this afternoon, I rang my clutch man up. He says that it will be done by next week (allegedly) :o .
Time will tell as this time last year they were going to do it and backed out at the last minute.
Having to use skinny tyres to save the clutch at the mo.

Post subject: Re: Clutching at straws
 Post Posted: January 21st, 2015, 10:26 pm 

Are there not mix and match secrets to get a stronger clutch on the pt from other engines? It buggin me now that I cant remember were those 2.2s come from engine family wise (not that I work at a jeep chrysler dealer ops) must be a strong pressure plate out there

Post Posted: January 21st, 2015, 11:06 pm 

bmKen wrote:
Are there not mix and match secrets to get a stronger clutch on the pt from other engines? It buggin me now that I cant remember were those 2.2s come from engine family wise (not that I work at a jeep chrysler dealer ops) must be a strong pressure plate out there

Been trying for a couple of years to achieve a tough clutch. When I stripped it out last year, we found that it was identical to an SMF clutch for a Sprinter and nobody tunes them or the C class. That was what went in last year with a performance friction on the plate. It was ok until I upped the nos by 50% :lol: (50 up to 75hp). Neon SRT are different boxes and PT Cruiser Turbos have same box but different modular flywheel instead of dual mass. Chevy have the same centre but lot bigger od.
Spent most of the other Thursday at Autosport with clutch people. Left them wondering why I had the car that I have, apart from 400+ft.lb torque and 250bhp 8-) and 13s potential.

Post Posted: January 22nd, 2015, 7:49 am 

As I mentioned before John. A friend of mine has a sprinter gearbox behind a hot 350 Windsor in an Isuzu trooper. I'm sure he used the sprinter clutch but I can easily find out for you.

Post Posted: January 22nd, 2015, 8:43 am 

wakesupremo wrote:
As I mentioned before John. A friend of mine has a sprinter gearbox behind a hot 350 Windsor in an Isuzu trooper. I'm sure he used the sprinter clutch but I can easily find out for you.

If you can find out, that would be a bit more info (never have enough).
It's probably a 2.9 box which is different every way. My clutch is quite shallow as it has a concentric bearing, bit more room in the bell housing on the bigger boxes.

Post Posted: January 22nd, 2015, 10:29 pm 

Are you on a dual mass then? Surely you want that gone if a solid flywheel is available? Dual mass will slip its arse off if ya get fatter tires

Post Posted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:04 am 

bmKen wrote:
Are you on a dual mass then? Surely you want that gone if a solid flywheel is available? Dual mass will slip its arse off if ya get fatter tires

No, that was on it's last legs last year. Working with National Auto Parts tech dept, we compared the PT DMF with their Sprinter SMF and they were dimensionally the same. They rated max torque at 275 ft.lb for their clutches but a guy in Burton on Trent fitted a performance friction to the new clutch and that was ok at 350 until some twat fitted bigger nos jet. :lol:
Yet another road trip on Friday to Leeds to pick 4 doors to lighten for the Van and a dual friction SMF clutch which should do the job.

Post Posted: January 23rd, 2015, 3:58 pm 

The clutch in my mates trooper is a Centreforce with centrifugal springs, The spline is the same on a chevy as a sprinter so a chevy plate with a good strong pressure plate apparently.

Post Posted: January 23rd, 2015, 6:15 pm 

That was one that I looked at ($345) but the smallest od was 9 11/16 or 246 mm. NAP said that it was 6mm too big for the flywheel. If I could have seen one, I might have had a go at making it fit. But it also may have been wrong on the depth as the SMF is machined in for clearance.
BTW, Centerforce never replied to my emails asking for more dimensions like stack height, clamping pressure etc.

Post Posted: January 24th, 2015, 8:42 am 

Typical situation mate. They won't make themselves vulnerable/ Unfortunately it's a case of trial and error.

Board index » Outlaw Street » The Workshop – (Share your builds in progress & projects here)