Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Other Race Challenges, Shows & Events

Post Posted: September 9th, 2017, 6:33 pm 

Last Saturday (2 September 2017) I took part in the Brighton Speed Trials in my 1993 Toyota Supra.
The Speed Trials are the oldest motorsport event in the UK having first taken place in 1905. It is organised by Brighton & Hove motor club and takes place along the spectacular seafront location of Madeira Drive in Brighton.
This was the 22rd year that I have entered the Speed Trials and the 14th time with my Supra.
It was a glorious dry sunny day and perfect conditions for sprinting at the seaside!
Cars are split into classes between Roadgoing/Modified Production cars and Racing cars and then sub divided by engine capacity.
My Supra ran is class C4 (Roadgoing and Modified production cars over 3500cc - a factor of 40% is added to the Supra's 2997cc engine as it is turbocharged).
Each competitor has a practise run over the quarter mile course and then 2 timed runs which count towards the final result.
The course is 'challenging' as the event is run on track which is a public road during the rest of the year and the track surface is not prepared with traction compound that you might expect at a drag racing event. All cars have to carry a timing strip fixed to the front of the vehicle to activate the timing lights at the start, 64ft and finish. Timing starts as soon as the car moves rather than having 6 -12 inches 'rollout' that you find at a drag strip.
For my Practise run I got a great launch recording 2.18s for 64ft and 12.20s @ 122.2mph at the end of the quarter mile. The track was very bumpy towards the end of the quarter mile and in the shutdown area with the exhaust hitting the track surface on a couple of occasions!
For my 1st timed run I got a good launch with 2.22s to 64ft and then going on to run 12.01s @ 126.3mph! These numbers where my best elapsed time at Brighton and a new PB for the terminal speed for the Supra! So close to the 11's!
For my 2nd timed run I got the best launch of the day at 2.17s to 64ft and 12.04s @ 124.2mph for the quarter!
The C4 class was won by a Porsche 911 Turbo S with a time of 11.00s @ 130mph and I ended up 5th in class of 21 cars!
The Fastest Time of the day by a car was 10.69s @ 134mph by GD Lola T70 Sports Libre car. Overall I came 13th out of 81 cars!
The fastest time of the day was 9.09s and the fastest speed was 183mph by a couple of Suzuki Hayabusa bikes!
A great day’s motorsport!
Simon
OS23

Post Posted: September 10th, 2017, 10:39 pm 

Nice one Simon, will have to go and spectate one year.

Post Posted: September 11th, 2017, 8:58 am 

Nice write up Simon, thanks for sharing..

Board index » General » Other Race Challenges, Shows & Events