Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Other Race Challenges, Shows & Events

Post Posted: September 29th, 2019, 12:22 pm 

Brighton Speed Trials 2019
On 7 September 2019 I took part in the Brighton Speed Trials in my Nissan GT-R. This is one of my favourite events of the year and this year was the 24th time I have taken part.
The Brighton Speed Trials is a sprint event over a quarter mile and takes place on a public road on Madeira Drive on the seafront in Brighton. The track is a normal road with relatively little grip compared to a drag strip and is very bumpy at the top end slowing down area – the ultimate ‘no prep’ track! There is always an interesting selection of cars and bikes taking part in the event and with the promenade running the whole length of the course this also makes for great spectator viewing.
I have competed in this event with my Supra for a number of years eventually running a best time of 12.01 @ 126mph in 2017. Last year (2018) was the first year I took part with my GT-R and I was delighted to run a best time of 10.92 @ 130mph.
A few weeks prior to this year’s event I had the GT-R upgraded with larger turbo’s, bigger intercooler and bigger fuel pumps and remapped to 777bhp! The weekend before the Speed Trials I had run a new PB of 10.43 @ 135mph at OS Round 6 at Santa Pod – so I was keen to see how the new set up would work at Brighton.
On the day of Brighton Speed Trials I arrived early to sign on and go through scrutineering. There were a number of fast cars in my class and I was pitted next to another GT-R and a Porsche 911 Turbo S.
On my first practise run the track was still cold with no rubber laid down and I experienced bad wheel spin through the 1st 3 gears- but I still ran 11.12 @ 133mph which was the fastest in the class at that point!
The next run was my 1st timed run which counted towards the results. This wasn’t until after lunch by which time the track had warmed up a bit and had more rubber laid down. I got a better launch and ran 10.83 @ 133mph.
At this point I was 2nd in class behind a V8 engined TVR which had run 10.29 @ 149mph and just ahead of the other GT-R which ran 11.54 @ 125mph.
For my 2nd timed run I got an even better launch and ran 10.78 @ 134.7mph – new PB at Brighton! The TVR ran 10.55 @ 130mph while the other GT-R ran 10.93 @ 131mph. This meant I had finished 2nd in Class behind the TVR!
Once all the other cars had made their final runs I discovered I was also 2nd fastest car overall which meant that I got into the Top 6 Shootout at the end of the event.
For the Shootout the Top 6 cars were lined up in reverse order and I realised that the TVR (which was the fastest car overall) was not behind me – apparently he had had an oil pump failure on his previous run!
As I got to the start line the previous car (a Westfield) had run 10.98 @ 123mph to lead the Top 6 at that point. So that was the time to beat! I got my best launch of the day and it felt like I had made a good run. When I got back the start area the crowd was cheering and I could see from the timing board that I had run 10.80 @ 134mph – so I had won the Top 6 Shootout!
I ended up getting a trophy for coming 2nd in my Class. I also got another trophy for being the 2nd Fastest Car of the Day along with a cheque for £125!
A great day!
Simon (OS28)

Board index » General » Other Race Challenges, Shows & Events