Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Tech Discussion

Post Posted: May 18th, 2013, 6:58 pm 

Hi
Can anyone tell me what the air charged sensor (brown plug ) fixed in the side of pendulum on my cosworth YB engine is actually sensoring.
What does it control?
When I activate either water methanol or nitrous oxide the engine is cutting after about 1-2 seconds. Can't tell if its fuel or spark. Could this be something to do with the air charged sensor not liking what it's seeing?
Cheers

Post Posted: May 18th, 2013, 8:19 pm 

The ACT sensor is of the NTC resistor type, its resistance decreases as temperatures increase.
The sensor is usually fitted into the air chamber and can only be replaced as a unit if defective, so check the resistance.
At 0° C, for example, the resistance is 9.75 kOhm and at 70° C the reading is 0.53 kOhm. Depending on the signal received from the ACT, the ECU module will vary the injection and ignition timing and also affect operation of the engine, so if you are spraying into it's path you will change the resistance almost instantly which could be confusing the ECU and cutting fueling and spark.
You did not say if you are running a DRY or WET Nitrous system? How much squirt? Single or multistage? What % of Meth and are you using De-ionised water?
I am assuming that you have a good tune (RE-Map) for your set-up?

Post Posted: May 18th, 2013, 8:38 pm 

Hi.
The air charge sensor was new and is working fine on normal running
Running wet Nos system 50hp multi point injected on each runner
Is it possible that this sensor on a L6 ecu and 4 post crank sensor can alter trimming if so how?
50/50 meth and tap water sprayed just before throttle body this system worked fine on my sons turbo golf
The engine is running on a 360 hp chip hybrid turbo at 20 psi.
I'm not sure if the air charge sensor is the problem and if is how it can be over come
Thanks

Post Posted: May 18th, 2013, 10:21 pm 

the ACT will retard the ignition when the air temp gets hot to reduce detonation. what are you doing with timing when you spray nitrous or meth? and are you adding fuel with the nitrous? why are you using nitrous and meth? I'm not sure why or how you would use both at once? when you spray nitrous you need to add fuel and retard timing, with meth you can advance the timing and reduce fuel. do you have a wideband you can log the fuelling when it starts to miss? I wonder if its going lean on the nitrous and rich on the meth? :geek:

Post Posted: May 18th, 2013, 10:27 pm 

aah check the distributor is set right (line on distributor should line up with line in centre of the rotor arm on tdc) when you are spraying either the nitrous or meth it will cool the air charge and advance the timing if the distributor is wrong it could make the spark jump to the wrong cylinders post

Post Posted: May 19th, 2013, 12:28 pm 

Thanks for the replies
Cheers

Post Posted: May 20th, 2013, 6:17 pm 

the meth will be part of a water injection system to help cool charge temp on boost,my air sensor on the moggy when it was faulty it just caused the engine to run very rich especaily on warm up, similar to the 3 bar map sensor when unplugged,we have a L6 on the moggy and that dosent like us adding nitrous either,was told by NORRIS MOTORSPORT that a swap to L8 was what we needed,also a 5 bar map sensor.

Board index » General » Tech Discussion