Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General » Tech Discussion

Post subject: skimming
 Post Posted: November 27th, 2013, 12:29 pm 

Hi guys im thinking of geting a little more compression has im useing 64cc 2.02 / 1.6 valve heads on a standard deck height with a engine rebuild head gaskit so at mo me quench is 0.25 deck 0.41 gaskit gives me 0.66 now im woundering do i fit a fel-pro 1094 0.15 gaskit giveing me 0.40 and 10 / 10.25:1 compression or get heads skimed and fit a 1003 gaskit now if i go skimmed how much shell i take off any help will b greatfull ;-)

Post subject: Re: skimming
 Post Posted: November 29th, 2013, 7:00 pm 

Unless your heads are not flat and true, DON'T do any Skimming...

If however, they are giving you issues and are warped then the rule is take off only what's needed and no more. remember that the heads need to be matched so do not remove more off one head than the other.

Remember, it's hard to put the metal back once it's been removed.

Technically it is not recommended to use a steel shim style head gasket with aluminium heads. Not so much because it is thin, but because it is of dissimilar metal. When two dissimilar metals are in contact, a galvanic action takes place.
(Rust) The weaker metal (aluminium) becomes the "sacrificial metal" and corrodes. Some racers use the thin gaskets for short term racing where the engine is torn down often but for long term use, you are going to get this galvanic action sooner than you think. For aluminum heads you want to use a head gasket with a softer "fire ring"

if you take material from the surface of the heads there comes a point where the inlet manifold might need machining also.

Ensure you don't run just water as it will corrode your heads quicker, always use an additive for protection.

Post Posted: November 30th, 2013, 9:01 pm 

Batman wrote:
Unless your heads are not flat and true, DON'T do any Skimming...

If however, they are giving you issues and are warped then the rule is take off only what's needed and no more. remember that the heads need to be matched so do not remove more off one head than the other.

Remember, it's hard to put the metal back once it's been removed.

Technically it is not recommended to use a steel shim style head gasket with aluminium heads. Not so much because it is thin, but because it is of dissimilar metal. When two dissimilar metals are in contact, a galvanic action takes place.
(Rust) The weaker metal (aluminium) becomes the "sacrificial metal" and corrodes. Some racers use the thin gaskets for short term racing where the engine is torn down often but for long term use, you are going to get this galvanic action sooner than you think. For aluminum heads you want to use a head gasket with a softer "fire ring"

if you take material from the surface of the heads there comes a point where the inlet manifold might need machining also.

Ensure you don't run just water as it will corrode your heads quicker, always use an additive for protection.

Kline, as they say in the movies...... 'listen to the Batman'.....

Post Posted: December 1st, 2013, 7:20 pm 

Lol mark i always lisen to batman i just wont to go a little quicker and was toying with the idea of a bit more compression as mine is low ive got brand new alloy headz as was thinking skimming them to 62cc cambers in sted of 64cc they are now but was told 0.0055 is one cc so 0.10 is 2cc off the heads with a thin gaskit should give me 10.25:1 compresson but if the gaskits going to corse trouble and then it leaves skimming but if thats going to b a prob then i need too look at sumthing else lol :D

Board index » General » Tech Discussion